The AEPD and the General Council of Official Medical Associations agree to collaborate to promote the medical data protection n the digital world
The protection of medical data in the digital world is the factor to be strengthened in the agreement between the AEPD and the Consejo General de Colegios Oficiales de Médicos. In an unprecedented move, the Spanish Data Protection Agency (AEPD) and the General Council of Official Colleges of Physicians have established on December 1, 2023 a momentous agreement aimed at strengthening the protection of people in the increasingly complex and digitalized health environment.
This strategic agreement responds to the prevailing need to address emerging challenges in medical data management and safeguarding privacy in the digital world.
Essential aspects of the Convention
Specifically, they have established a pioneering agreement to collaborate closely in the promotion and guarantee of information security in the field of health.
- Medical Data Protection: The agreement focuses on establishing clear and specific guidelines to ensure the security and privacy of patients’ medical data. Special emphasis will be placed on compliance with data protection regulations, ensuring that medical institutions adopt robust measures to safeguard the confidentiality of information.
- Training and awareness: The agreement provides for the implementation of training and awareness programs aimed at health professionals on the proper management of information in digital environments. This educational approach aims to raise awareness among physicians about the importance of respecting patient privacy and promoting safe practices in the use of information technologies.
- Research collaboration: The AEPD and the General Council of Official Medical Associations agree to work together on research that addresses ethical and legal issues related to the management of medical data in the digital environment. This will allow for the development of updated guidelines and continued adaptation to technological and legal advances.
- Development of secure technological tools: The promotion of secure technological solutions for the exchange and storage of medical data will be actively sought. This will include promoting security standards, using strong encryption and adopting good practices in the development of digital applications and platforms in the healthcare sector.
- Audits and supervision: The agreement establishes the carrying out of joint audits to evaluate compliance with data protection regulations in medical institutions. Additionally, continuous monitoring will be promoted to ensure that security measures remain up-to-date and effective in a constantly evolving digital environment.
Convergence between health and personal data protection
As part of the agreement, regular audits and continuous monitoring will be carried out to assess compliance with data protection regulations at medical institutions. This will ensure that security measures are effective and kept up to date in a dynamic digital environment.
This historic agreement between the AEPD and the General Council of Official Medical Associations reflects the joint commitment of both institutions to the protection of the privacy and security of medical information in the digital age.
That is, they reflect the commitment to medical data protection in the digital world, to resolve, for example, questions about health surveillance and what an employer can know about an employee’s health.
By collaborating closely, they seek to establish an exemplary standard for data management in the healthcare sector, thus contributing to patient trust and the sustainable development of digital healthcare in Spain.
This agreement undoubtedly marks a milestone in the convergence between health and data protection in the digital age. The AEPD and the General Council of Official Medical Associations embark together on a journey that will not only guarantee the security and privacy of medical information but will also lay the foundation for ethical and responsible practices in the digitalized healthcare of the future.
This joint commitment reflects the importance of inter-institutional collaboration to effectively address the challenges of contemporary society.
At Letslaw by RSM, our team of data protection lawyers can advise you on everything you need.
Letslaw es una firma de abogados internacionales especializada en el derecho de los negocios.